Lane College is a four-year, private, coeducational liberal arts college
affiliated with the Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church. Founded in
1882 as the Colored Methodist Episcopal High School, it became Lane
Institute in 1883. In 1896, it became Lane College. Lane was chartered in
1884, graduated its first class in 1887, and awarded its first bachelorís
degree in 1899.
From the beginning, Lane College has striven to be a source of inspiration
for the CME Church youth. Laneís mission is to prepare students for the
future with the knowledge, skills, attitude, and understanding necessary
for leadership and participation in a democratic society. Lane offers
programs that provide intellectual experiences that enable students to
probe and develop their potential to meet decision-making situations with
rational and innovative thinking.
Located on approximately 25 acres, the twenty-two-building campus offers
easy access to Jacksonís downtown area, business centers, and churches.
The newest campus building, the Center for Academic Development, was
completed in 1993. The campus is located midway between Memphis and
Nashville. Both Memphis and Nashville offer a wealth of social and
cultural activities. This traditionally black college is a United Negro
College Fund member school.